Focus on learning
To provide our students the best chance of achieving success, at Dixons Kings Academy we are passionate about making sure no second of learning is wasted. Every decision in school is focused on maximising the learning for everyone.
We help our students to value learning by activating them as owners of their own learning.
Our teachers are passionate about teaching and learning, and have a real respect for their learners as people with ideas of their own. Their expertise allows them to 'read' their classrooms and to be more responsive to learners. Teachers at Dixons Kings Academy encourage feedback in everything that we do and use this, as well as other opportunities, to maximise learning.
We firmly believe that assessment is the bridge between teaching and learning. Therefore, every lesson at Dixons Kings will show evidence of the following core features:
- personalised learning activities
- effective formative assessment
- clear development and structure of learning
Other key elements of the academy approach to learning include:
- tutors who coach students to seek and build authentic learning experiences inside and outside of the academy building
- adhering to our three literacy strategies: reading book in possession at all times (reading); speak in full sentences with no slang (speaking); track the speaker/s (listening)
- harnessing the power of feedback to increase student learning. We ensure that feedback causes cognitive rather than emotional reactions
Instead of excusing bad learning habits we insist on good learning habits day-in and day-out with high expectations and no excuses.